Grid Sage Forums

• October 22, 2024, 02:49:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Collapsing the folder containing other folders ONLY hides images  (Read 405 times)

jimmyl

• Unaware
    • View Profile

If you collapse a folder that holds some other folders, it only hides images in that folder but folders are unaffected
Also would be great if it remembered whether folders were collapsed when starting anyway

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Collapsing the folder containing other folders ONLY hides images
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2024, 07:57:45 AM »

Correct, this is the way it behaves. It's not exactly a super amazing browser system, wasn't even meant to be much of a system at all, originally just a list of files without any folders or subfolders at all but I threw those in at a later time to offer a bit of better organization.

If you need more complex setups or start working with lots of images, REXPaint is small and I can recommend using multiple copies for different projects and purposes. I have like 4-5 different copies that I use regularly for different things myself :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

jimmyl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2024, 11:29:07 AM »

I can recommend using multiple copies for different projects and purposes. I have like 4-5 different copies that I use regularly for different things myself :)

why should I make multiple REXPaint copies to make the browser work properly
« Last Edit: October 15, 2024, 11:36:49 AM by jimmyl »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2024, 04:35:27 PM »

Just a suggestion for how to use it in a way that might meet your needs!

It's already working properly, that's how it was designed to enable direct access to multidepth subfolders in a single list. It is a single-panel browser, after all--you don't get multiple windows for it so if it behaved as a normal browser then it would actually be rather onerous to interact with under a lot of scenarios. This does however mean you might want to organize directories slightly differently than you otherwise would on a multiwindow system. But I'm not planning on making any kind of multiwindow system, it was originally meant to be a simple direct list, after all...

(my own main purpose for having multiple copies is actually to use different settings such as window size, fonts, and palettes for different static recurring purposes, just thought I'd mention in case that might be a useful approach in your case)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2024, 05:09:28 PM »

I should add that as the manual describes, RP was not intended nor does it provide anything near a full-featured file manager. The real management should be done using an actual external file manager since that was beyond the scope of RP's feature set to begin with.

That section of the manual also describes how to update the browser contents based on changes via an external file manager during run time. To supplement normal RP use if you're doing large-scale file operations, it might be advantageous to have your file manager open and accessible alongside it.

jimmyl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2024, 08:16:09 AM »

thats a fair explanation but it still leaves me slightly disappointed in that department

so ok dont call me an ideasguy for this one but what if REXPaint was on github (so those who wish for said features can either PR or fork)
i think theres a way to add secret files on github or alternatively just put the c++ binary of (rogue engine x/ whatever you dont want people to have but still needed to compile) in there

although personally i have no clue how you have it set up so it may be easier said than done or you just (more likely) dont want to do that

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2024, 08:42:47 AM »

While I don't plan to do that, there are others out there, including open source options, especially developed and expanded in the more than 10 years since I built REXPaint because the relatively few options that existed back then at least were pretty bare bones and I needed something more suited to my own needs, and with more features. Nowadays you can find many more with different feature sets, design sensibilities, architectures, and audiences.

I'm pretty sure there will be a REXPaint 2.0 at some point, for which I have a lot of big plans, but that will definitely still not include much better file browsing or management, either :P (feels like a waste of dev time to do something like that which is already solved, and not especially relevant to an image editor, so my focus is on new features that enable creation of cool images)