Grid Sage Forums

• October 21, 2024, 08:47:56 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Improved part self-destruction.  (Read 1194 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Improved part self-destruction.
« on: September 21, 2024, 09:22:32 AM »

So, sometimes part self-destruct. It says in the log that the part "fried", and it's gone. Did it fry itself completely?
Maybe it should leave some matter, to represent that it left at least something. For example, ΒΌ of it's integrity.
Maybe sometimes they not just vanish, but become broken? Player still can't use it anyway, unless they fix it. These would be more accurate "fried" parts. It's still there, just not working.
By the way, I'm not sure if this is explained in the lore, but why picking up self-destructing parts prevents their self-destruction? Are they only self-desctructing when on the ground, and as long as someone carries them, they are fine, no matter who it is? Then shouldn't they self-destruct if Cogmind picks them up and drops them again? Or do they only self-destruct when the robot carrying them dies? Well, I'm sure if someone who can attach it (scrapoids have scrap suits, which would autoattach parts into free slots, but I'm not sure if they actually can) dies afterwards, they won't self-destruct... how does it work from the lore perspective?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Improved part self-destruction.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 09:28:42 AM »

No plans to leave anything behind, it leads to too much unnecessary junk we don't want on the map. But picking parts up enables you to disable the self-destruction mechanism. Anyone capable can do this (yeah anyone with a Scrap Suit can do it, too).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 01:59:58 PM »

Just picking up? Does it apply to Recyclers? I didn't really pay attention, do they pick up parts that are going to self-destruct? If yes, do they also disable self-destruction, so when they are killed, the parts are free to pick up? If so, then it doesn't really make sense. The whole point of self-destruction is to not allow others to pick up parts, and Recyclres disabling it actually help Derelicts or whoever to pick them up. Shouldn't Recyclers either not disable self-destruction of picked up parts, or ignore them in the first place and don't pick them up, just let them self-destruct?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 05:37:10 PM »

Recyclers? I mean... they'll do it if you tell them to, but otherwise they're not running around picking up parts. There aren't even any Recyclers in the caves at all, so if they're there you brought them and they're under your control (and if for example a Programmer regains control over one, rare but not an impossibility, then they're just recovering their own parts for 0b10).

As for derelicts, why can't they simply disable the self-destruction timer?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon