Grid Sage Forums

• September 20, 2024, 09:29:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [b14] Warlord gets stuck if he cannot swap  (Read 82 times)

jimmyl

• Unaware
    • View Profile
[b14] Warlord gets stuck if he cannot swap
« on: September 15, 2024, 11:38:49 AM »

Warlord, when tactically retreating into the exit (running away like a scared little serf) during the counterattack will get stuck if the only way forward contains an ally he cannot swap with (just a guess, no clue, but digging out the other corridor he got stuck in helped)
this will result in him and his boys standing idly forever until the offender is somehow moved

This save was taken when warlord got stuck for the 1st time and reloading somehow fixed it but i believe if you let him move to the next corridor he gets stuck again for some reason
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 12:57:11 PM by jimmyl »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [b14] Warlord gets stuck if he cannot swap
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 06:51:20 PM »

Yeah this isn't specific to Warlord, or this particular situation, it's just how the AI behaves in the new Beta 14 for now, as a side effect of having blocked the earlier jumping abilities that people always complained about. Not easy to have everything :P

If you help the front line clear out the enemies ahead, and/or simply move further from the fight, they will advance normally, but if you're close by they are going to be more reserved, or even remain stationary until there's enough free room / no hostiles blocking the way. Too many bots in that small area.

I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with a save file that demonstrates a behavior like this without being obviously blocked by a ton of allies, like Hermelin was recently showing on Discord, because that will be a more fundamental issue to resolve--directly doing anything about this case is probably not that helpful by comparison, since it's behaving as intended for now. What you can also do, if you don't want to advance, is intentionally move into their midst to swap them around a bit, which frees them up.

This will likely be adjusted for Beta 15, once I have the right data.

Edit: Actually I've gone ahead and made mutual allies able to more freely swap now under a greater variety of conditions. Was thinking about doing this last week but since it wouldn't address the specific issue Hermelin showed with just a couple sparse bots I had wanted to wait on it, though I think this will probably be needed anyway, now that they're not so free to jump.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 08:29:32 PM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon