Grid Sage Forums

• October 22, 2024, 07:35:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 14] (Big spoilers) Derelicts afflicted by unaware malfunction  (Read 233 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

So turns out attacking broken Warlord post-Main.C destruction can cause Warlord-affliated bots to turn against me. (Whoops. I was sure i'd done it before without consequences, but apparently not. And it also gave me a massive friendly fire negative bonus :'(. At least i got back a bunch in... "High Alert Combat Kills"? What?)

The point is, after turning against me, they started turning against each other (some switched to become Main.C affiliated) and eventually broke down.

Faction system limitations, i guess. Maybe the "derelict" faction itself should become hostile to Cogmind, instead of all members of their faction switching to "hostile derelict" faction?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2024, 02:27:10 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 14] (Big spoilers) Derelicts afflicted by unaware malfunction
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2024, 06:20:03 AM »

Yeah they will turn on each other due to the simplified faction system. Making any changes to that behavior in the wider more complex environment could be dangerous and lead to lots of serious or difficult to predict bugs, so it's not going to happen unless there is a larger review of faction relations, which is also not going to happen for the same reason :P

Basically Cogmind got a lot larger than originally planned for, with a much larger web of connections, so the initial systems didn't anticipate these needs and ended up just being used as best possible without adding too much internal complexity. You will find a number of similar things throughout the game.

I did recently introduce a new separate group of more "variable" factions specifically in order to handle the very complex possible web of relations that can occur in the Recycling UFD scrap lab event between some NPCs, and I imagined going back and making other such changes throughout the game, but it's just a ridiculous amount of work for little relative gain, so all of these things will remain as is. Going forward I will be able to make use of these where necessary, which is nice...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon