Grid Sage Forums

• September 20, 2024, 03:52:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 13] Datajackless Minesweeper extracts traps while also ignoring traps  (Read 510 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

A while ago,  i'd seen a Minesweeper do something i thought strange, so i made a backup to test later if it was in fact a bug.
It wasn't, but i discovered that if a Minesweeper loses their Datajack, they'll continue to extract derelict traps without it.
However, losing their Datajack also makes them lose interest in extracting traps, so they'll only extract traps if they happen to walk over them.

Screenshot and save file attached.
(The minesweeper lost their Datajack just after reprogramming a trap but before extracting it, not sure if relevant.)

(The thing i originally thought to be a bug but wasn't actually was just that M-30 Cleansers that lose only their engine eventually become immobile due to all their innate energy generation being spent on utilities.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

(The minesweeper lost their Datajack just after reprogramming a trap but before extracting it, not sure if relevant.)
Not sure what you mean, since if that's true I don't see what the issue is. Traps that are no longer hostile don't require a Datajack to extract, same as when you use them.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

The Minesweeper never ended up extracting that trap.
It also stopped caring about traps altogether, hostile or not, and wandered around aimlessly instead.
However, whenever it happened to walk onto a trap, it would extract it, even though said traps hadn't been reprogrammed and were still derelict-affiliated.

The log in the screenshot i'd attached also shows this, to an extent :
36923_ M-30 Cleanser reprogrammed Fire Trap.         // Reprograms a Fire Trap
36923_ Sneak Attack on M-30 Cleanser.                // Interrupted before having a chance to extract the Fire Trap
36923_ Destroyed Adv. Datajack.                      // Loses Datajack
36923_ Destroyed Wheel.
36941_ The unstable cave Ceiling collapses.
37057_ M-30 Cleanser extracts Dirty Bomb Trap. <x2>  // Extracts Dirty Bomb Traps it never had the chance to reprogram. Also never extracted the reprogrammed Fire Trap.

As i see it, there's at least one bug, maybe two :
-The Minesweeper extracted traps without reprogramming them.
-The Minesweeper stopped caring about traps, but was still able to extract them. (I'd think it should either ignore them all and not extract them, or care about the already-reprogrammed one(s) and extract only those.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

even though said traps hadn't been reprogrammed and were still derelict-affiliated.
Okay that's different from the quote I replied to earlier is all. I can't easily load this one to see the exact circumstances since it's from an older version, but the code seems correct overall and it's not an important behavior, so will just leave it as is.

There are also other possibilities like know that they can actually reprogram traps but not pick them up, for example if they have a full extractor but there was another wandering Minesweeper nearby with a partially empty extractor, stuff like that.

-The Minesweeper stopped caring about traps, but was still able to extract them. (I'd think it should either ignore them all and not extract them, or care about the already-reprogrammed one(s) and extract only those.)
This is normal behavior, because active Trap Extractors just do their thing, same as when you're using them (assuming they're not hostile, which is the key).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

even though said traps hadn't been reprogrammed and were still derelict-affiliated.
Okay that's different from the quote I replied to earlier is all.
Yeah, i thought the implicit context of losing their Datajack (meaning they were attacked and therefore fled) would clarify that i meant "before" as in [that their minesweeping process was interrupted at the same time as they lost a key part for said process] instead of "before" as in "this is the next thing they did".

There are also other possibilities like know that they can actually reprogram traps but not pick them up, for example if they have a full extractor but there was another wandering Minesweeper nearby with a partially empty extractor, stuff like that.
I'm not sure how these are (relevant) possibilities, as they're the opposite of what i was describing since the traps are correctly getting reprogrammed before being possibly extracted,
but it's cool to know that Minesweepers can leave the task of extracting traps to less-full nearby Minesweepers!

This is normal behavior, because active Trap Extractors just do their thing, same as when you're using them (assuming they're not hostile, which is the key).
The wording here feels confusing. Are you saying that it's normal for Minesweepers to be able to extract traps hostile to them?
(Like it "used" to be in previous Betas, making the change to them actually using their Datajack mostly fluff?)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 02:46:01 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »