Grid Sage Forums

• September 19, 2024, 05:55:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 13] (spoilers) Side effects of squirrels (Q SCP issue)  (Read 984 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
[Beta 13] (spoilers) Side effects of squirrels (Q SCP issue)
« on: August 10, 2024, 02:39:49 AM »

A while ago, you explained that, in order to make a certain item (Sigix Containement Pod) have dialogue, you made them a robot that looked like an item that only turned into an item after the dialogue.

This explained some things i'd noticed in the past (Sensor Array detecting the SCP, Phasing AFG not working), and honestly most things kind of make sense, even if they end up being inconsistent.

The issue is that the Sigix Containement Pod can be killed.
Normally, this can't happen without the player trying to do exactly this, like i did (see attached screenshot),
but the Core Cannon makes it possible for players to do that accidentally : It deals enough damage to blast through the door, making it ideal for destroying it, but since it has a penetration chance of unlimited, firing it directly into the center of the door would make it also hit the SCP, and from my testing with a Helical Railgun, i'm pretty sure it would one-shot the Sigix (unless you already accounted for that and they have enough thermal resistance to survive).

(Not very important but i find it funny : Using item dropping mechanics, i managed to get a golem into the chamber, who killed the Sigix (after i broke the barrier with an ST) because their "robot form" is neutral, which assembled attack.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 13] (spoilers) Side effects of squirrels (Q SCP issue)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2024, 02:46:27 AM »

Quick question though: What's the problem? If you destroy it it's destroyed, that's okay. It's not immune to destruction or anything.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2024, 06:01:28 AM »

It's the fact that most players don't know and wouldn't expect that the SCP is considered at any point to be a damageable robot;
If it was always an item, which is what most players expect to be the case, then a shot from the Core Cannon shouldn't even scratch the thing, much less destroy it.

And i think it'd be bad if a player accidentally destroyed it like this while in a run that attempts to get the SCP for any reason.
Especially since it could cause some confusion, if not a misunderstanding, where a player thinks the Sigix died because they breached the thing around the SCP instead of opening it through the terminal.

(I suppose that makes this bug report more of a sort of game design opinion? Maybe?)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2024, 06:12:21 AM »

Yeah I think it's fine, and actually preferable if it would always be destroyable as such, but you can't put an actor in your inventory so that's just how it needs to be, converted over for that purpose (otherwise considering it an actual actor would be best).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon